- Upcoming Land Use Board application materials
- Board members and support staff
In January of 2016 the Governing Body passed O-16-1, to combine the land use powers of the Planning Board and the Zoning Board of Adjustment into a single board to be known as the “Land Use Board,” which shall exercise all of the powers and duties of the individual boards according to the Municipal Land Use Laws.
Land Use Board Hours
Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Second Thursday of each month at 7:00pm
Highlands Community Center, 22 Snug Harbor
Phone: (732) 872-1224 x 201
Zoning Officer: Brian O'Callahan
The Zoning Officer must review all development requests and plans prior to being referred to the Land Use Board.
Our Land Use Board consists of nine (9) members and four (4) citizen alternates as follows:
(1) Class I: The Mayor or the Mayor's designee in the absence of the Mayor.
(2) Class II: One of the officials of the municipality other than a member of the governing body to be appointed by the Mayor.
(3) Class III: A member of the governing body to be appointed by the Borough Council.
(4) Class IV: Six citizens of the Borough to be appointed by the Mayor.
NOTE: According to NJSA 40:55D Class I and III members cannot vote on class “d” variances described as follows:
- A use or principal structure in a district restricted against such a use or structure
- An expansion of an existing nonconforming use
- Deviation from a specification or standard pursuant to section 54 of P.L.1975, c.291 (C.40:55D-67) pertaining solely to a conditional use
- An increase in the permitted floor area ratio as defined in section 3.1 of P.L.1975, c.291 (C.40:55D-4)
- An increase in the permitted density as defined in section 3.1 of P.L.1975, c.291 (C.40:55D-4) except as applied to the required lot area for a lot or lots for detached one or two dwelling unit buildings, which lot or lots are either an isolated undersized lot or lots resulting from a minor subdivision.
- An increase in the height of a principal structure that exceeds the maximum height permitted in a zoning district by 10 feet or 10 percent
The Zoning Officer must review all development requests and plans prior to being referred to the Land Use Board. So, you received a Zoning Denial... now what?
• All meetings shall adjourn no later than 10:00 P.M. unless a majority of the quorum present at said hour vote to continue the meeting to a later hour.
• No new hearing shall commence after 9:15 P.M. unless the Chairperson shall rule otherwise.
• The Chair may limit repetitive comments or irrelevant testimony and may limit the time or number of questions or comments from any one citizen to ensure an orderly meeting and allow adequate time for members of the public to be heard.
Land Use Board Forms
Looking for agendas from years prior to 2022? View previous years here.
Looking for minutes from years prior to 2022? View previous years here.
2022 Land Use Board Resolutions
Looking for resolutions from years prior to 2022? View previous years here.