January is dog licensing month; July is cat licensing month. The instructions for renewing your dog/cat license are listed below.
- State Statute requires that all dogs/cats be licensed and have a current tag affixed to collar or harness. All dogs/cats 6 months or older must be licensed.
- All dog licenses expire on December 31 each year. All cat licenses expire on June 30. Failure to renew dog/cat license may result in a court appearance.
- Check rabies information. State Statute requires that any rabies vaccine that expires before November 1 st for dogs, or before May 1 st for cats of the licensing year will require an updated vaccine prior to the issuance of a new license. If there has been any change since the last billing, be sure to enclose the required rabies certificate, which will be returned.
- Check neuter status. If you have not already qualified for a reduced license fee, you may do so only by enclosing a spay/neuter certificate signed by a licensed veterinarian.
- License must be issued in the name of an adult member of the household.
- FREE RABIES CLINIC – held usually in November. Please call the office at (732) 872-1224 for information.
- If your pet has passed or no longer lives in the borough of Highlands, please notify us. There is a check box on the back of renewal notice for this purpose.
Please come to borough hall at 42 Shore Drive to fill out a form or you can download a form from this website. Spayed/Neutered dog/cat licenses are $18.00. Non-Spayed/Neutered dog/cat licenses are $21.00. Cash or check payment is accepted. Please make your check payable to “Borough of Highlands," and mail to PET LICENSING, Borough of Highlands, 42 Shore Drive, Highlands, NJ 07732.
Penalties for various acts constituting cruelty (pdf)
Guide to prevention of animal cruelty laws (pdf)
4:22-17 Cruelty; certain acts, crime; degrees (pdf)
2017 2018 Rabies Clinics (pdf)
Cat - Dog License Application (pdf)